If you follow me on Instagram, you might have seen that we just recently got rid of our old full size mattress and upgraded to a queen! Aside from our couch, this was really the first major furniture purchase we’ve made in the entire six years we’ve lived together!! And let me tell you, buying a new mattress set was a long time coming! I’ve been dreaming of this for a couple of years now! Having the extra space is just amazing…and the pillowtop on the new mattress? I’m ready for a nap now!!
I would say over the past year we’ve finally started updating a lot of our furniture and actually picking out things WE like. Some of the items, like the mattress, we’ve had to save up for….some are still inexpensive, but more “our” style. I’ve definitely learned the importance of waiting til you find that item that really speaks to you. Especially since we live in an 1100 sq foot apartment. We don’t have room for things we don’t like or have use for!!
I worked on getting our main living space where I wanted it to be first…we spend the majority of our time there. The rest of the time we spend in our bedroom, we’re mostly sleeping or reading. And it’s not like we can see what it looks like when we’re sleeping…unless we dream about hanging out in there. Which would be weird. Now that our living room is pretty much what I wanted (I’d actually like a new couch but we’re going to wait until we eventually buy a house) I’m planning to tackle the bedroom! If you guys can keep a secret, I’m slightly embarrassed to share that all (ALL) of the furniture in our bedroom, aside from our headboard, which I made, IS FROM MY TEENAGE BEDROOM.
I’ve been living with these particle board dressers for so long! The bottoms are falling out…and the paint from when I tried to make them more attractive a few years ago is starting to bubble and peel. Guess they didn’t really intend for you to paint vinyl coating on particleboard…but still…they look gross!! Granted, the new dressers I want are Ikea and also particleboard, but I can live with that as long as I find them decent to look at. I’m just really excited to pick out new furniture and have a grown up bedroom I’m really proud of. Here’s some of my inspiration! Most of the items on here I’m going to purchase, or already own…so this is actually a pretty accurate depiction of what the room will look like!
1. I already own this pillow. And I saw it recently on Melissa and Joey!! My pillow is famous!!
2. I’m thinking about buying this fruit stand from Target and spray painting it coral or mint and putting it on my dresser for jewelry! Not that I wear that much, but still.
3. We really need somewhere to hang things so they aren’t always on the floor. I really love this rack from Urban Outfitters!
4. I recently became a member of the humidifier fan club! I need somewhere to put it though, and I think this plant cart from World Market would be really adorable…maybe some actual plants on the bottom shelves!
5. Target has the CUTEST stuff. We all agree on that, right? This bin would be perfect for throw blankets. And its a great way of adding texture into the room! Lately I’m all about layering different textures.
6. I love this. See above for comments about Target.
7. I bought this duvet on clearance for $20 a while ago thinking I would really like it for our bed whenever we finally got a queen. I love it! Also from Target. I don’t think they have it anymore though.
8. I own a couple of these and I think they’d look cute clustered on a wall parallel to our bed. Love the wood.From Target.
9. I’m in the process of looking for nightstands that are a decent height. All of the other cute tables I’ve found are like 20-25 inches and we need closer to 30. I found these barstools on Target.com that are 29 inches. And only $129 for the pair.
10. The plan is to buy two of the Ikea Malm dressers and place them side by side, creating one huge dresser. I love the clean lines on the malm series and I think doing two 4 drawers side by side is going to make them look more custom than if we went with the one six drawer dresser.
11. Also from Target, I like these linen lampshades because they aren’t distracting at all. There are a lot of colors, patterns, and textures in the room, and I just want the lamps to fade into the background.
12. So obsessed with ikat right now! Especially in black and white. I think I’m going to see if John can give me this pillow from Urban Outfitters for Valentine’s day 🙂
13. Velvet Curtains are at the top of my list right now…our room is very bright and I like to sleep in a dark room…so I really wanted something thick that could block the light. Ikea seriously has the best deals on curtains. These are only $39.99 for a pair of 98 inch panels!!!! If you have high ceilings like we do, you’ll definitely want to check out Ikea’s curtain selection!!
That wraps up my bedroom decor inspiration! Can’t wait to get it all together and photograph it to share with you guys!